*6.6.3 *Except where specified in 6.6.4, sprinklers shall not be
required in clothes closets, linen closets, and pantries within
dwelling units that meet all of the following conditions:
(1) The area of the space does not exceed 24 ft2 (2.2 m2).
(2) The least dimension does not exceed 3 ft (0.91 m).
(3) The walls and ceilings are surfaced with noncombustible
or limited-combustible materials as defined by NFPA 220.

If the _*LEAST *_dimension does not exceed 3' you are good. A closet that is 11' x 2' does not need a sprinkler. A closet that is 4'x4' does.

Travis Mack, SET
MFP Design, LLC
2508 E Lodgepole Drive
Gilbert, AZ 85298