Ok so we have been contacted to change out a large number of sprinklers in a 
high-rise hotel. Much of the building is done in steel pipe but we have just 
stumbled upon at least one wing where polybutylene is present.  As far as I 
know, there is no approved method of repairing this pipe once it's been broken. 
I have stopped all activity in the area.

My first though was to start cutting open the wall around the sprinklers in the 
wing that contains polybutylene. At least that way I can get a wrench on the RC 
and greatly reduce the risk of fracture. But even a slight risk makes me very 
nervous in this situation.

Has anyone come across this and how did you handle it?

John Irwin
Manager - Fire Sprinkler Division

Critical System Solutions, LLC
2830 Scherer Drive, Suite 300
St. Petersburg, FL  33716
Office: 727.209.5122
Fax:      727.209.5126
Cell:     813.618.2781

Sprinklerforum mailing list

Reply via email to