If there are separations that satisfy the building official, different areas
within a single “building” can be protected with the two different standards.
But I can’t use one standard in the dwelling units and one outside of them.

But universally, I think there’s a pretty wide-span misunderstanding of how 13R
can be applied to a four-story hotel, notwithstanding corporate loss prevention
standards like those of Hilton and Marriott that require more robust system
design.  13R prescribes residential sprinkler design in the units and design
per 13 outside of the units.  13 allows the use of residential sprinklers in
corridors directly serving dwelling units, so we can say that in the upper
floors of a four-story hotel, 13R design will generally prevail.  If you have
other uses that are mixed but associated exclusively with the hotel, you can
protect them per 13 and it’s still a “13R design”.    Admin, breakfast seating
areas, meeting rooms, restrooms, workout and spa, housekeeping, etc. are all
accessory to the principal use of the building as a hotel.    So you can have a
“mix” of 13 and 13R sprinkler types, areas of coverage and hydraulics, but it’s
all still within the scope of 13R.

Personally, I would not consider mixing the two books unless the separation
you’re considering is at least two hours and is considered a fire wall per the
IBC (two independent and rated assemblies).  And even then I’d need a
compelling reason to mix standards.  We had annex language in 13R at one time
that said that when the separation was considered a “building separation” you
could throw both books at it but that was confusing and re-written.   But let’s
ask ourselves what it is:  is this hotel a single building with retail stores
and their associated fire loads, and/or a commercial kitchen with a
statistically measurable chance of a fire originating there?   Are these spaces
separated from the residential ones?  And if not, why be interested in
downgrading protection to what is more accurately described as a mixed use
building, not a dedicated hotel, i.e. residential use?

We’re in the protection business – let’s sell as much of it as we can.

My 2¢ only …

SML