From: Sprinklerforum [mailto:sprinklerforum-boun...@lists.firesprinkler.org] On
Behalf Of Kyle.Montgomery
Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2017 1:44 PM
To: 'sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org'
Subject: Building Expansion Joints in NON-seismic Areas

The only reference to expansion joints I can find in NFPA 13 is within section
9.3 "Protection of piping WHERE SUBJECT TO EARTHQUAKES". So, if I'm not in an
area that is subject to earthquakes, can I ignore the building expansion joints?

Usually I still add a flexible coupling just to be safe, since it isn't a huge
impact. However, I've been questioned before about whether the flexible
coupling can allow sufficient movement to accommodate the expansion joint. Is
this something I should be losing sleep over?

Keep in mind, I'm talking about areas where seismic bracing is NOT required.

Thanks.

-Kyle M