From: Sprinklerforum [mailto:sprinklerforum-boun...@lists.firesprinkler.org] On
Behalf Of Steve Leyton
Sent: 2017/08/09 4:48 PM
To: sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org
Subject: RE: Building Expansion Joints in NON-seismic Areas

In structural terms and by definition, an expansion joint is not a seismic
joint.  HOWEVER, they come in different flavors and may be subject to
differential movement.   Because we're in the heart of seismic country, we have
to deal with seismic joints and bracing and flexibility and clearance
requirements so those all generally supersede and we tend to ignore "expansion
joints" in our designs.  But I'd love to hear from some code-savvy people in
other (not-so-seismically-active) parts of the country.   Is John Drucker on
the line?

SL