I thought I was clear on this definition but I have an FPE and a technical
representative from a fire sprinkler manufacturer stating they are not
concerned with the opening of cross section area in regards to the 70 %
stipulation in the definitions.  They have stated they are only concerned
about the depth of the top and bottom chords not exceeding 4in.  They are
stating bc the top and bottom chords don't exceed 4in in depth that they
fit into the category of unobstructed construction.  My argument is that
several areas of the building have open joists with structural
reinforcements creating several areas where the cross sectional area is
below 70%.  The head in question is an interstitial combustible concealed
space head.  Am I in the wrong here in my misunderstanding of obstructed
construction?

Zach