I’ve got a 10+2 Sty building that needs a new pump for a myriad of reasons.
Replacement will be larger to satisfy Standpipe demand.  New system pressures
will require PRV’s to the 10th flr. and maybe one or both levels of mechanical
above.  None currently installed, 190 PSI in the pump room.  2 Standpipe design
with duel fed checked-off  systems on every floor.  I’m trying to convince
Owner monetarily that removing the old FDV and installing it downstream of the
PRV in each stairway will save a PRFDV and help with 5-year PRV testing.  Each
system on each floor will feed that floor’s sprinklers and 2 FDV’s through a
new PRV on each standpipe.  There are smoke vestibules outside each stairway
because stairs are scissor style and back up to each other.  Standpipes are
only 20’ apart.  Plugging the FDV outlets and relocating the FDV’s will allow
the FDV’s to be located in the smoke vestibules instead of the stairways which
I believe is required.  This, I believe is a design reason for relocating the
FDV supply.  Another thing I’m trying to convince Owner is to install zone
check’s around the new or reused FCV’s to help save water (not billed for yet
but coming) and lower his ITM costs (we’ve been testing this building for 10
years).  Also, about 50% of the main piping has been replaced over the years
due to pinhole leaks and corrosion found during internal inspection or just
plain leaks.  Nothing in the standpipes or sprinkler piping has been found
effected so far, just the feed mains and within the pump room.  Circulators
will help this I believe by hastening the infusion of fresh oxygen via testing
water consumed.

I’ve also got the cost of upgrading the DR’s from 2” to 3” with inlets on every
level (we do enough of this that every other is a pita, especially scissor
stairs), un-combining them and finding termination points that will accept the
anticipated discharge (gotta use 500), running 120 VAC risers for the pumps
with key switches, and factoring in the additional 5-year PRV testing into
their yearly ITM budget.

My main question is about the valving off the standpipes.  If I show a valve
off the standpipe to the PRV and out of the PRV a tee branching down and over
to the reused non-reg FDV, do I really need another valve before the new/reused
FCV supplying the sprinklers?  If I can save this valve, between the cost of
the valve and another FA module, and additional ITM costs, I can offset the
cost of the zone check substantially.  I plan on using a pilot operated PRV so
no additional tamper.  Each PRV will only supply sprinklers and 2 FDV’s.  I’ve
been a fan of this style of zoning since I first came across it 10+ years ago
but those guys always installed a second valve for sprinklers only.

>From what I foresee, the downside of omitting this second valve means when the
>floor is shutdown, so is the FDV times 2.  I can’t see where anything says
>this can’t happen unless I’m missing something.  I don’t mean to state if the
>code doesn’t say no does that mean yes.

Thanks in advance.

Thomas Duross

The Fire Pump Testing Company