A SSP has a maximum distance of 12" below the ceiling, which you are within.
Even if you wanted to add a level of protection above, the short space would
not allow for a full development of the spray pattern.

Taylor Schumacher

From: Sprinklerforum [mailto:sprinklerforum-boun...@lists.firesprinkler.org] On
Behalf Of Jerry Van Kolken
Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2017 3:19 PM
To: sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org
Subject: RE: Floating Ceilings

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this. For the most part I don't this
the area above the floating ceilings can be classified as a concealed space
from the rules in 13 (2016). All the ceiling are less than 12"  below a
concrete deck, but I don't know why that would exclude sprinkler above the
ceiling.

Jerry Van Kolken
Millennium Fire Protection
(760) 722-2722