That’s a question for  your local building official.

The code section you are looking for specifically exempts sprinkler piping…
depending on how  you read it. Some around here say “no way”. Others don’t mind.

Matt

From: Sprinklerforum [mailto:sprinklerforum-boun...@lists.firesprinkler.org] On
Behalf Of James Litvak
Sent: Friday, February 02, 2018 9:24 AM
To: sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org
Subject: Dry Riser in Stairwell

Can a dry riser be installed in a stairwell, provided there are no clearance
issues? I know there is a building code section that doesn't allow any systems
in a stairwell that don't serve the stairwell, but I don't know the exact
section to check the language. The way I'm looking at it, a dry riser is the
same as a floor control assembly, as they are both system risers. Therefore it
shouldn't be a problem. However it's being questioned by a building code
official. Is this allowed?