In Seattle, at least at one time, and not likely to still be the case,
separate buildings, on separate lots, that abutted each other could use a
common three-hour wall and they could even communicate as long as they
were a 1 1/2 hour firewall on either side. These are some very old (by
Western standards) buildings with steel-clad timber, counterweighted,
sliding doors activated by a link and cable arrangement but built per the
code at the time. I also know of three separate buildings on three separate
lots that share a fire pump, many basement systems where adjacent buildings
share a sprinkler system, manual, class 3, dry standpipes in high rises,
and at least two basement systems that are without a water supply and rely
on the FD to pump water in. Seattle was its own kind of place.

--
Ron Greenman

rongreen...@gmail.com

253.576.9700

The Universe is monstrously indifferent to the presence of man. -Werner
Herzog, screenwriter, film director, author, actor and opera
director (1942-)