IFC 2012 Table 5003.1.1 gives the maximum allowable quantities of flammable and
combustible liquids per control area.  If the liquids are stored in approved
cabinets you can increase the volume by 100%.

I am trying to determine the proper sprinkler design for areas that contain
flammable and combustible liquids that are stored in approved cabinets.  NFPA
13, 2010 edition states that occupancies with moderate to substantial amounts
of flammable or combustible liquids shall be designed to Extra Hazard Group 2
(5.4.2).  However, I am confident that because the liquids are in cabinets that
this space would not be designed to EH2, but I can't find any verbiage that
explicitly says so.  I believe Ordinary Hazard Group 2 is adequate but I need
to document from the codes and standards my reasoning.

Can anyone point me to a code or standard section that states that if flammable
or combustible liquids are stored in approved cabinets that you basically don't
have to account for their presence?...at least I believe that is the intent so
please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you.

Reed Roisum

Reed A. Roisum, SET | Karges-Faulconbridge, Inc. | Senior Fire Protection
Designer | Fargo, ND | direct: 701.552.9903 | mobile: 701.388.1352 |
http://www.kfiengineers.com