The industry has used spray sprinklers with glazing as an alternate approach
for a long time. Having said that, the ONLY place it is official blessed is for
Atrium glass (unless something was added since I looked a couple of cycles ago
but with the WS sprinkler covering a wider spectrum not a lot of energy being
invested on said other places). Since 13 says use a listed sprinkler or allowed
by the codes, that narrows the easy application to that described by the mfg
cut sheet or for atrium glass.

Regarding the NFPA 101 guidance, I’ve always been worried (in our crazy world
of litigation) about proving the requirement to wet the ENTIRE surface with a
parabolic pendent sprinkler (which gets little or no attention in the
evaluation).  Just because an AHJ accepts it doesn’t mean one of my fellow
Prostitutes Extraordinaire won’t help some dirt ball attorney sue you.  SO the
first question is, is it worth the effort.

Roland

Roland Huggins, PE - Senior VP Engineering
American Fire Sprinkler Assn.
Dallas, TX
http://www.firesprinkler.org <http://www.firesprinkler.org/>

Fire Sprinklers Saves Lives