I asked a similar question a number of years ago and it appears as though the
consensus at that time was that dry-pipe system underground pipe should be
ductile iron.  We have an application where the dry-pipe system leaves the
valve room and goes underground and then extends above ground.  Is ductile iron
the best option for the underground portion?  We are able to slope to drain
back to the valve room.

Thank you.

Reed Roisum

Reed A. Roisum, SET | Karges-Faulconbridge, Inc. | Senior Fire Protection
Designer | Fargo, ND | direct: 701.552.9903 | mobile: 701.388.1352 |
KFIengineers.com<http://www.kfiengineers.com>