The 2015 IFC states:
2809.5 Fire protection. An approved hydrant and hose system
or portable fire-extinguishing equipment suitable for the
fire hazard involved shall be provided for open storage yards.
Hydrant and hose systems shall be installed in accordance
with NFPA 24. Portable fire extinguishers complying with
Section 906 shall be located so that the distance of travel
from the nearest unit does not exceed 75 feet (22 860 mm).

To get that "approved hydrant and hose system" we'd typically have a layout
showing the yard and anticipated loading.  Take that to the local fire code
official (FCO) and talk about what kind of flow is available (I've have gotten
this from local water purveyor before meeting the FCO).  If you only have 1500
gpm flow rate available at 20 psi for example, how many hydrants will have to
be involved with how many pumpers for the required hose streams.  We also talk
about apparatus access through the yard and minimum aisle widths and turn radii
so the owner knows there are stacking limitations.

Some of the answers depend on how the local FD is equipped.

I agree, this is not a building related issue and even if there were a building
on site, providing adequate resources for fighting a yard fire is a totally
different hazard from a building.

Also, for industrial or high flow rate areas I typically spec out the American
Flow Control's American Darling Industrial hydrant with the 6" valve opening in
lieu of the standard commercial hydrant with the 4.5 - 5" valve opening.  The
AFC American-Darling hydrant # is B84B-BB-5. These can typically deliver up to
4800 gpm through the 4.5" pumper connection at 100 psig.

A lot of times we've just gotten hydrant spacing recommendations with no
specific pressure or flow rates required.  I guess most FDs have resolved that
they will get what they get and do the best with that.

Craig L. Prahl
Fire Protection Group Lead/SME
Direct - 864.920.7540
Fax - 864.920.7129