8.5.2.1.1 of the 2016 edition of NFPA 13 covers how to determine the area
covered by a sprinkler. This seems to be pretty straightforward, but I’ve
noticed some strange wording. Consider a building with exposed structure and
some beams that are deep enough to be obstructions, 36” as an one example.

For spacing between branch lines, the standard says “Determine perpendicular
distance to the sprinkler on the adjacent branch line (or to a wall or
obstruction in the case of the last branch line) ...” I understand the
reference to last branch line when referring to a wall, but not with respect to
an obstruction. Similar language exists for spacing along the line.

Is this just poor wording, or is it really the intent not to allow measurement
to an obstruction if not the end line or sprinkler? I have a case where a deep
beam requires an additional line.  The designer has spaced heads closer
together on the line that is further from the beam, so calculating head spacing
times twice the distance to the beam results in an area of less than 100 sq ft
(this is extra hazard). However, if the intent is to use the distance to the
next line (and ignore the beam) then the area is over 100 sq ft. I think the
layout meets the intent, but am interested in other opinions.

Sent from my iPad

Christopher H. Born, P.E.
Director, Fire Protection Engineering|Principal
Clark Nexsen
4525 Main Street, Suite 1400
Virginia Beach, VA 23462
(757) 455-5800