From: Sprinklerforum [mailto:sprinklerforum-boun...@lists.firesprinkler.org]
On Behalf Of John Hoffman
Sent: Friday, 13 April 2018 3:27 AM
To: 'sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org'
Subject: RE: Expansion Joint

I don't think NFPA 13 really addresses expansion joints.  Normal systems
don't generally need to account for movement through other than the built-in
flexibility of the piping system.

Now, if you are talking not normal, I was involved in a facility that had a
2000-foot long fire main in the basement, 10-inch diameter, that had three
expansion joints along its length.  I think they were Dressers, but don't
recall for sure.  They were the telescoping style to accommodate linear
movement.  They were not listed for fire main application.  You do what is
necessary in situations like that.   I doubt there is a UL or FM expansion
joint, other than for seismic applications.

John Hoffman

Burns & McDonnell