No, don’t use foam in the ducts or dust collector.

Protecting the space with a foam-water system is appropriate, but note, be sure
to also look at NFPA 30 for design criteria since you are dealing with
flammable liquids.  NFPA 16 and NFPA 30 have different duration requirements.
Is there any storage of these materials in the space?  You need to know if
there are any drums or totes present.

When you speak of a dust collector, we’re assuming you are dealing with totally
different hazards such as a combustible dust.  Is the dust collector being
provided with any other safety devices?  Who has established that suppression
is required?  If the system is conveying flammable vapors and particulate you
need to have someone qualified do a hazards analysis to determine what is the
appropriate protection media for what is being conveyed. Water may not be
effective or appropriate.  Foam-water is not an effective media for protection
of these types of systems.

Also, if you use any foam system criteria understand that the design density
isn’t automatically 0.16 gpm/sf.  That is the minimum.  You need to consult
with a foam mfgr. and provide the chemicals you’re dealing with and let them
recommend a design density and sprinkler discharge device.  Since both products
are polar solvents, you might very well be at 0.16 but verify and get
confirmation with your foam vendor.

Craig Prahl | JACOBS | Fire Protection | Greenville SC | 864.676.5252 |
craig.pr...@ch2m.com<mailto:craig.pr...@ch2m.com>  |
www.jacobs.com<http://www.jacobs.com/>