I'm out of touch with the FM data sheets these days, but from an NFPA 13-2013
perspective, I think Sections 12.1.3.3 and 12.12.3.3 would come into play:

12.1.3.3   The sprinkler system design shall be based on the storage height and
clearance to ceiling that routinely or periodically exist in the building and
create the greatest water demand. Where storage is placed above doors, the
storage height shall be calculated from the base of storage above the door.

12.12.3.3   Where idle pallet storage is above a door, the idle pallet storage
height and ceiling height shall be calculated from the base of storage above
the door using the applicable protection criteria referenced in Section 12.12.

>From this, I would conclude that the sprinkler protection for 6 ft of idle
>wood pallets from Tables Table 12.12.1.2 (a) (b) or (c) would be called for.
>For idle plastic pallets, compliance with Section 12.12 would be needed.

It should be recognized that the above is just my personal opinion, and has not
been processed as a formal interpretation in accordance with the NFPA
Regulations Governing Committee Projects and should therefore not be
considered, nor relied upon, as the official position of the NFPA, nor any of
their technical committees.

Best regards,

Larry Keeping