From: Sprinklerforum [mailto:sprinklerforum-boun...@lists.firesprinkler.org] On
Behalf Of Tom Duross
Sent: Friday, January 4, 2019 6:27 AM
To: sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org
Subject: FDC Placard

Trying this one more time, original never posted..

Did a 5 year Standpipe test on an older (1986) system with its own Fire Pump.
Older ’83 BOCA (MA supplements, 14-1976): 500(1st) + 250 (2nd) plus 250 (for
sprinklers).  1000 gpm Fire Pump in Basement.
Owner is asking me to provide a new placard for the 2 FDC’s.  OK.
Question:  Even this is an older 65# design system, it delivered almost 100#
(to my surprise) from the 2 Standpipe’s FDV’s.
250 + 250 @ 83 from Roof Hydrant and 250@86 from top of other Standpipe.
Would you guys create an 83/86# design placard (this would match actual fire
pump delivery) or a 65# design placard for the FDC’s?
I’ve hardly ever been asked to provide one for an older pre-100# system.  I
usually end up running hydraulics anyway to work the  pump discharge back
through the FDC piping to the inlet.  I’m inclined to lean towards stating
something like “To match Building Fire Pump delivery of blah-blah-blah, a
pumper delivery pressure of blah-blah is required at the FDC”.  (it won’t have
the ‘blah’s in it)
I don’t want to incur any liability in scaling back residual pressures in a
program versus actual.

Tom Duross