My experience has been that wood structures often can’t handle the lateral
branch lines can be omitted from the laterally loads for the mains.  NFPA 13
(13 ed.) 9.3.5.9.6 The zone of influence for lateral braces shall include
all branch lines and mains tributary to the brace, except branch lines that
are provided with longitudinal bracing or as prohibited by 9.3.5.9.6.1.

I don’t know if this is what’s going on or not, only presuming it.

As far as your original question, Jerry, I would say that yes you can cross
the plane of the “airplane” and achieve the proper spacing.

Thank you,

Bob Knight, CET III

Fire by Knight, LLC

208-318-3057