David,

Interesting question. You haven't provided enough information for a thorough
answer.

How big of an attic area?

So you intend to mark the location of every upright sprinkler in the concealed
space on the ceiling below? No one will ever paint that gypsum?

Then cut access for NFPA 25 5-year internal pipe inspection?

And cut access for NFPA 25 20-year sprinkler inspection?

Life expectancy of a design/build NFPA 13 dry sprinkler system, riser mounted
air compressor, schedule 10, black steel pipe = 7-15 years.  Is that the system
you are specifying?

Or, are you specifying with nitrogen and schedule 40 pipe?  Other?

Why not fill with insulation? As long as you avoid mold issues (see webinar)
that could be a better long-term option for your current client and whoever
buys it next.

NFPA 25 requires limited access for internal inspection, but if anything goes
wrong (e.g. corrosion) how do you work on it without taking significant pieces
of the ceiling down.

Can you imagine how hard it is to locate pipe and problems in that space (i.e.
Confined space) without accurate as-built drawings (I'm lucky if the owner has
any drawings, but as-built for those spaces aren't the norm). We've taken off
the roof of structures less than two years old to locate pipe and abandoned dry
systems in attics because it is too expensive to take the ceilings down just to
start locating the leaks and facilitate repairs.

Too many questions for a simple answer.

It'll be great to hear other responses.

Scott

Office: (763) 425-1001 x 2