We have a problem with ice forming on LHD cable inside a Coldstore at the
access doors. The LHD is “Protectowire” and is used as the first detection for
a Double Interlock Pre Action system. The Coldstore temperature is -10⁰C.

1.       Is there any way to reduce or prevent this condensing water vapour
from freezing on to the LHD? Would spraying the cable with silicone spray be
helpful?

2.       Is there a practical method of removing the ice at say 1 – 3 monthly
intervals? Spraying de-icing fluid comes to mind but as it is in a frozen food
warehouse that may have a contamination problem although all products are
cartoned and wrapped.

I have checked FM and Manufacturers Data sheets but have not found reference to
external ice loading.

VESDA recommend the application of silicone spray so wonder if this would help.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards,

Russell

Russell A Gregory