NFPA 13 has contained this in the appendix in varying locations since the
dawn of time (or at least since I was 4 years old in 1983):

A dry pipe system should be installed only where heat is not adequate to
prevent freezing of water in all parts of, or in sections of, the system.
Dry pipe systems should be converted to wet pipe systems when they become
unnecessary because adequate heat is provided. Sprinklers should not be
shut off in cold weather.

While this is murky, FM added their input in the old 2-8N sheet, I found a
1996 edition online, it's basically NFPA 13 with commentary.  It states
below this section:

When a dry-pipe valve is used on a wet-pipe system, the clapper(s)should
be removed and attached to the outside of the valve. The connection to the
alarm should be removed and the opening plugged. A vane-type alarm should
be installed to maintain the alarm service.

Might be worth something at least as what used to qualify as "good
practice"?  Personally, I'd just replace the valve unless I was coming out
of pocket/got strong customer pushback.

Mike Morey
CFPS 3229 • NICET S.E.T. 123677
Project Manager • Fire Protection Group
Shambaugh & Son, LP an EMCOR Company
7614 Opportunity Drive • Fort Wayne, IN • 46825
direct 260.487.7824 /  cell 260.417.0625 /  fax 260.487.7991
email mmo...@shambaugh.com