In our State of South Carolina where we have not modified the text of 2015 IFC
903.1.1, it has two requirements, the first part that is often overlooked is
that it must be recognized by the applicable standard, not just approved by the
fire code official:

903.1.1 Alternative protection. Alternative automatic fire extinguishing
systems complying with Section 904 shall be
permitted instead of automatic sprinkler protection where
recognized by the applicable standard and approved by the
fire code official.

2013 NFPA 13 Section 22.14.2.3 is an example of where such a sprinkler
trade-off is recognized by an applicable sprinkler standard:
[cid:image003.png@01D57E99.71DCF5E0]

Respectfully,

David Blackwell

David Blackwell, P.E.
Chief Engineer
(803)896-9833

Office of State Fire Marshal
141 Monticello Trail | Columbia, SC 29203
http://statefire.llr.sc.gov/
(803)896-9800

"Our firefighting starts with plan review..."