Bob,
I'm not sure if 2 ft² can be overlooked by your AHJ, however when I read your text the provisions of 8.15.8.1.1 came to mind that any bathroom > 55 ft² require a sprinkler, except that smaller bathrooms require them if they are in a limited care facility or open directly on to a public corridor or exitway.

There are some construction material requirements for the bathroom omitted from sprinkler coverage, so take that into account.

sincerely,
*Ken Wagoner, SET
*Parsley Consulting***
*350 West 9th Avenue, Suite 206