Andrew Steele

From: Sprinklerforum [mailto:sprinklerforum-boun...@lists.firesprinkler.org] On
Behalf Of Reed A. Roisum, SET via Sprinklerforum
Sent: Thursday, April 09, 2020 1:27 PM
To: sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org
Cc: Reed A. Roisum, SET
Subject: RE: Curbs for Containment

Not sure if this is what you are thinking of, but below is from 2012 IBC Group
H-2 Flammable and combustible liquids section...

[F] 415.8.2.4 Leakage containment. A liquid-tight containment area compatible
with the stored liquid shall be provided. The method of spill control, drainage
control and secondary containment shall be in accordance with the International
Fire Code.

Exception: Rooms where only double-wall storage tanks conforming to Section
415.8.2.3 are used to store Class I, II and IIIA flammable and combustible
liquids shall not be required to have a leakage containment area.

*(Commentary) In order to prevent the spread of flammable and combustible
liquids to adjacent nonstorage areas in the event of a leak in a storage tank,
an adequately sized containment area is required. The sizing of the containment
area should be designed to contain a spill from the largest vessel plus the
fire protection water for the required duration. It is also important that the
drainage system be sufficient to drain not only the flammable or combustible
liquid but also the drainage water from the sprinkler system as well as hose
streams. Since the outer wall of a double-walled storage tank acts as the
secondary means of containment, the exception would allow the omission of the
leakage containment area for all flammable and combustible liquids.

Reed A. Roisum, SET | KFI Engineers | Senior Fire Protection Designer | Fargo,
ND | direct: 701.552.9903 | mobile: 701.388.1352 |
KFIengineers.com<http://www.kfiengineers.com>