Seems like we have an AHJ not backing down. We had the reviewing engineer for
the sprinkler plans write a letter stating that the criteria is in compliance
with NFPA and that limited quantities of combustibles are permitted above the
ceiling and still classify it as non-combustible.  This is data cabling and
waste vent piping that the inspector is drawing a line in the sand to provide
protection above the ceilings of a large high school.  I have been working
getting informal interpretations from various entities to support our position.

GC is telling sprinkler contractor it was design build so no change order.
But, specs say to put sprinklers above ceiling if structure is combustible or
if steel beams are not fire proofed.  In this project, the steel beams are fire
proofed.  The contract “intent” drawings call out to add sprinklers below
stairs if combustible but no where else in the project.  There is nothing to
indicate sprinklers would be required above the ceilings.  A similar school
built the next jurisdiction over does not have sprinklers above the ceiling.  I
have been told other projects in this jurisdiction have the same construction
and same situation with no sprinklers above the ceiling.  One of them
referenced is a hospital.  I’m sure the data cabling in a hospital is far
greater than a high school.

This one is going to get interesting.  And probably pretty ugly.