I don't think this has been said yet on this thread, but I think it is
worth mentioning.  It is not a fire sprinkler contractor's job to decide
where sprinklers are required, and/or which standard is applicable (NFPA
13/13R).  I know we all probably do this, but we really shouldn't.  I would
bet over half of contractors don't know half as much as they should about
this subject (me included; and I think I know a lot about it).

Long story: There are so many caveats to the Building Code, which trigger
different requirements for this, which are different in each year of the
codes/standards, and often different between jurisdictions.  We don't know
(and I find that it often isn't listed anywhere in the prints) if the
Architect used a building code tradeoff (larger building area, lower fire
ratings, longer egress distance, etc) that would automatically trigger the
requirement of a NFPA 13 system throughout (not 13R, even though it may be
less than 4 story residential).  It could be that the building is close
enough to another adjacent building that it requires a NFPA 13 system, or a
rated exterior wall (which we wouldn't know the option they selected).
There could be separated occupancies (with firewalls), mixed occupancies,
or accessory occupancies, all of which may require a different
approach/NFPA standard to be applied.  The building mentioned may or may
not be a "podium building" (IBC 510.2).  Chapter 9 of the IBC may, or may
not, have minimum requirements for sprinklers based solely on occupancy.
This is just a few of the things that I can think of off the top of my
head.  I'm sure I'm missing some, and there are too many specific
situations to list here: it would be a novel (like a building code).

Long story short: don't take on the liability by quoting sprinklers in some
areas, not in others, or with NFPA 13 in some areas and/or NFPA 13R in
others/throughout, when you really don't know what you are doing.

What I would do: call the Architect. Get it from them (in writing) where
sprinklers are required and if it is required to be designed per NFPA 13 or
NFPA 13R.  It is best to do this early on in the bidding process, and try
to get it sent in an addenda so that your competition bids it the same way
you do.  Of course, I have done this, and my competition beats me by still
bidding it incorrectly and against the addenda, and no one realizes that
the sprinkler system is installed incorrectly, except me, when I walk
through the building a year later.  That's life in this business.

My $0.02, that no one asked for,
Skyler Bilbo

1700 S. Raney Street
Effingham, IL 62401