Is there any literature about residential sprinkler placement with regards to
the proximity of large concrete and steel beams? I have a customer that doesn't
want to see sprinklers or piping in exposed precast residential units. She
wants me to run branch lines and pendent sprinklers as tight as possible to the
beams. I'd end up with sprinklers 32" away from each other splitting a 24" x
24" concrete beam.

Beings that I'd have branch lines and sprinklers on either side of these beams,
I'm not concerned with the obstruction rules.

What I am concerned about is how the sprinkler activation is affected. I
thought I ran across something many moons ago where small beams actually aided
the activation of residential sprinklers below those beams but I'd be pretty
tight to the ceiling.

Any evidence, anecdotal or otherwise, would be greatly appreciated.

Taylor Schumacher
Security Fire Sprinkler<http://www.j-berd.com/>
1 Industrial Blvd | Sauk Rapids, MN 56379
Office: 320.656.0847 | Direct: 320.640.7050