Thank you Craig, That is perfect. I was conveying this issue to the builder and
his response was “I have no idea”. Not very helpful…

Chris Dorn

From: Craig Hanson <cra...@wc-3.com>
Sent: Friday, June 30, 2023 9:57 AM
To: Discussion list on issues relating to automatic fire sprinklers
<sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org>
Subject: [Sprinklerforum] Re: Residential Layouts

Chris here is my comment I use when dealing with your situation:

Protection Against Freezing- These are areas that are subject to freezing and
require that the piping be protected by either direct heating, heat trace, dry
system or anti-freeze [NFPA 13R 6.7.2.1*]. Although it is the owner’s
responsibility to maintain areas above 40F, it is the designer’s responsibility
to ensure the piping is in a conditioned area [NFPA 13(HB): 8.16.4.1.1*]. Using
of heat trace or other methods need to be approved by the AHJ. Tenting of pipe
can only be used when the space below the piping is heated, however, an
alternative is to have a professional engineer supply heat loss calculator that
the system will not freeze (taking into account of an open garage door) [NFPA
13: 8.16.4.1.5]. If using a conditioned chase, then it needs to be designed and
shown on plans.

Craig D. Hanson, CFPS

Senior Fire Plans Examiner

West Coast Code Consultants, Inc. (WC³)

Meridian Satellite Office

C: 253.225.9977 | E: cra...@wc-3.com<mailto:cra...@wc-3.com> |
www.WC-3.com<https://www.wc-3.com/>

Teaming With Your Community to Make a Difference

On Fri, Jun 30, 2023 at 7:54 AM Chris Dorn
<chris.d...@dornfireprotection.com<mailto:chris.d...@dornfireprotection.com>>
wrote:
Interested to see the responses as I’m dealing with this same question. Also
when the building has breezeways instead of corridors how do you get from one
block of units to the other without having piping in an unheated area?

Thanks,
Chris Dorn