From: Matt Grise <mattgri...@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2023 7:28 AM
To: sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org
Subject: [Sprinklerforum] canopy construction

Caution: This email originated from outside your organization. Please take care
when clicking links or opening attachments.

We have a non-combustible, light hazard building where a steel pan roof deck
(with some non-combustible architectural finishes on the underside) forms a
balcony over a patio. The steel roof deck has a drainage slope on top formed
from combustible rigid insulation that is covered with non-combustible roofing
material – forming a noncombustible-combustible-noncombustible sandwich. There
are no exposed combustible materials or combustible concealed spaces since all
of the materials are in direct contact.

We typically see these considered non-combustible construction and exempt from
sprinklers per NFPA 13 2016 ed 8.15.7.2, however a plans reviewer has expressed
concerns that the presence of the combustible middle layer voids the
‘non-combustible construction’ consideration.

It seems that the code allows for the presence of some combustible materials in
the assembly based on NFPA 13 2016 ed 8.15.7.3 allowances for combustible
construction with non-combustible finishes. However, this specific construction
does not meet any of the specifically listed exemptions.

Has anyone seen anything similar to this?

Matt