From: Taylor Schumacher <tay...@sfsprinkler.com<mailto:tay...@sfsprinkler.com>>
Sent: Thursday, October 5, 2023 12:48 PM
To: 'sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org'
<sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org<mailto:sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org>>
Subject: [Sprinklerforum] Paint Line-Furnaces

I have a paint line for simple metal trailers and components. I know how to do
the non-automated powder booths easy enough. What I am struggling with is other
"booths" on the line. Blast furnaces, in particular, for drying post wash and
for curing the powder coated parts. They are approximately 1,000 sq. ft.
rectangles and 20 foot tall. These furnaces regularly get to 650 °F. I don't
need protection inside per NFPA 86 and the IFC requirements.

When my brain switches back to 13 requirements, I have a large obstructed area
shielding concrete and transitory metal frames. Insurance is recommending OH2
overhead for this area. Do I need to increase my overhead requirements to EH2
for shielded fires even though they're not "combustible" shielded fires?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Taylor Schumacher