We are looking at an auto repair facility that has a very small tire
storage room (apx 300sf). The tire storage space is open on one side to the
misc parts storage area (short-shelf OH2). Our thought was to protect the
tire storage space with a small ESFR system that extends 15' into the misc
parts storage area. The other 3 sides of the tire storage room are CMU and
extend to the deck.

Even with the 15' extension into the lesser hazard area, there are only 6
ESFR sprinklers needed. (2 heads on 3 lines) = 540sf.

Based on the annex commentary in NFPA 13 2016 A11.1.2, our plan was to calc
the 6 esfr heads (the full higher-hazard area plus 15' = 540sf) along with
960sf  at .2gpm/sf to round out the larger of the two operating areas.

We received some pushback because there is no ESFR design criteria that
only uses 6 heads, so the plan reviewer was concerned that we were not
following the 12-head design for an ESFR system.

There was a suggestion that we should pretend there were 12 heads and calc
a 12 head area (even though 6 would never be installed).I figured that
since we were calculating ALL of the ESFR heads in the building, that would
be ok.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Matt Grise