Hi Carlos

Thanks for raising this here.

The issue (https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/issues/596) you post
seems a bit old and untouched, any real chance something changing there?

I think this is also a very subjective decision, because it would be based
on 2
(,3,4 ,5 maybe 10, maybe more?) people saying it does not work for them in
the default (Inline).

Unless we have some real data (real use cases and numbers, i.e. "90% of
Spyder users use inline backend") I think the safest option in the sake of
clarity for new users is to have something that works right away without
generating a "Where did my figure go?"

To tackle this issue I would also suggest making these change more
accessible.

*Proposal:*
Keep the default 'inline' for the time given but implement these option
directly
on the IPython Dockwidget. Something like this:

<https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-LgaF0nUkVCc/VMoDR8ymMvI/AAAAAAAC4UM/MAtqnifHp_M/s1600/ipython-backend.png>
It would not be that intrusive and it is just in front of you to change

Cheers

*And remember, be social :)*

   -
*Twitter <https://twitter.com/spyder_ide>, Facebook