On Sunday, 16 October 2016 03:58:26 UTC+1, wolfga...@gmail.com wrote:

> I went to the Spyder download page at:
>
> https://github.com/spyder-ide/spyder/releases/tag/v3.0.0
>
> The icons for *Source code* (zip) and
> <https://github.com/spyder-ide/spyder/archive/v3.0.0.zip>  *Source code*
> (tar.gz)  are active, but the Spyder 3.0.0
> <https://github.com/spyder-ide/spyder/releases/tag/v3.0.0>  link and the
> Latest
> release <https://github.com/spyder-ide/spyder/releases/latest> button
> don't respond.

 Those links are not active because they point to the same page.

Is it necessary to sign in to that page to get download of the compiled
> version 3.0?

At the top of the page, it gives you two methods to download and install
the compiled version, using Anaconda or pip. More information can be found
in https://github.com/spyder-ide/spyder/blob/master/README.md , in the
"Installation" section.

What must I do to get the latest release suitable for installing over an
> existing copy of Spyder v2.3.9 without losing preferences and
> customizations that are already set?

To install over your existing copy, you need to install the new version
using the same method that was used to install the old version.

Hope this helps,

Jitse