One suggestion would be to contact the author and ask for an update. Given
its a university project, there is a good chance it won't have been.

In that case, because its licensed under GNU, you should be able to upload
a copy onto GitHub.  Then fork that copy and create a new Python 3
compatible version.  This is how FOSS works - "stand on the shoulders of
giants".