Hello,

I started using spyder about one year ago, and so far I've enjoyed using
it.

However I've had a strange ongoing issue where the application refuses to
launch if I don't have an internet connection.

If I launch it when not online, spyder will show a splash-screen, open a
window,  and then immediately stop responding. On the other hand, if I
launch it when my computer is connected to the internet, everything loads
perfectly.

This happens reproducibly (on my computer) every time, and I have no idea
why it would do this.

There is a related thread from 2015
<https://groups.google.com/g/spyderlib/c/7p0Z-w30I28/m/pH_5GHVaCAAJ>, where
they suggested disabling "update on startup," which might make sense, but
didn't fix the issue in my case.

I've tried updating or reinstalling Spyder (running the latest version as
of two weeks ago), as well as anaconda/other packages, but so far it's had
this problem across all versions a configurations I tried. For reference,
I'm running Windows 10 64-bit on an AMD Ryzen 7 5800H processor.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions! Thanks.