On 06/09/2016 05:11 AM, Søren Løvborg wrote:
On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 4:32 PM, Mike Bayer <mike...@zzzcomputing.com
<mailto:mike...@zzzcomputing.com>> wrote:

    Branch labels are exactly what solves this?    What's wrong with
    using a branch label?  you put "v1.2.1" as a branch label in the
    target revision and then your "alembic downgrade v1.2.1" command
    works exactly.

Sorry, reading the documentation I was distracted by the @head notations
etc. and missed the part where a "bare" branch label does indeed work
like a tag.

From the docs, it still seems like branch labels were designed to solve
a different problem, and just incidentally happens to solve this too,
but if you say it's a proper use of branch_labels, I'm obviously not
gonna argue. ;-)

That is all true, it was designed for the branching issue and not as much "tag this revision", though these concepts are always very similar in version control systems.

There's a weird side-effect, in that our Alembic history is (so far)
linear, so all branch labels show up for every revision, e.g.:

    Branch names: v1.2.3, v1.2.2, v1.2.1, v1.2.0

That was part of what confused me, and could get unwieldy eventually,
but I guess it's just a cosmetic issue.

OK, then that is actually an argument to add a new "tags" feature as well that is pretty much like a branch name but doesn't get associated with other revisions in the history view.

Yeah, but we can't depend on people having full VCS history available,
we have to support snapshot downloads too. :-/

So branch_labels it is. Thanks!

Yeah. But yeah, as I mentioned in my other email having a "tags" collection next to "branch_labels" is OK for me as well with some different semantics in alembic history etc. (any other effects you can think of?) Basically you're alpha testing this :).

Best,
Søren