moving to mysqldb 1.2.1-p2 fixed the problem. It was a mysqldb issue.

Just a note this is the standard setup for ubuntu dapper. We use the LTS
version of unbuntu on server and client matchines. We might want
something in the faq about min version of mysqldb or note about known
broken version of mysqldb.

Thanks for the help