> and then I do the following where someValue happens to be a unicode
> string:

> pref.pref_value = someValue
> session.commit()

That's not going to work with pymssql as your DBAPI. Pymssql is based on
Microsoft's DBLib (circa 1991 or so), which does not support unicode and
never will: it's been unmaintained for something like 10 years now. You'll
either need to convert everything to str() before it hits the DBAPI (which
is what I do, I'm still using pymssql), or switch to pyodbc.

> I am using Python 2.5.2 on Windows XP.

on windows, it should be easy to switch to pyodbc. Just install pyodbc,
SQLAlchemy will look for it first, in preference over pymssql.

Rick