Good question, I don't know the answer.

But even if it were a DSN option, it's likely to be an optional one. In the
absence of an explicit setting, shouldn't we default to having the setting
off, not on? It sounds as if the pyodbc default is 'on'.

I would argue for forcing it off anyway, even if set on: this potential
double-layered pooling would make trying to do any cohesive state management
strategy on the connections just about impossible, and would also
effectively render any SQLA pool size settings rather meaningless.