SA 0.7 generates events both at the ORM level and at the SQL level. See:

http://www.sqlalchemy.org/docs/07/core/event.html

http://www.sqlalchemy.org/docs/07/core/events.html

For example, there is a 'before_execute' event which you could listen
for, and look for INSERT clauses.

If you can't upgrade to 0.7, you might be able to use a ConnectionProxy:

http://www.sqlalchemy.org/docs/07/core/interfaces.html

Hope that helps,

Simon