Thanks Jonathan, Alembic has been on my "to-check-out" list for a while.
Does anyone here use it for test db population?

I'm honestly not seeing the big advantage of populating from json files,
but I suppose there must be some. At any rate I have them from a previous
project the same client has done. I suppose it might be a trivial job to
populate the db from json with just SA code in a helper class, maybe a
dependency for doing this is over kill??

thanks
Iain