Working on this level of integration is way over my head, but I'd love to
see this happen and wanted to quickly +1.

I just had to refactor some code to store User Submitted Media into
Postgres for background processing.  While doing a bit of research, I
learned that the streaming functionality is rather important even on
"small" files.  Postgres has to materialize the entire BYTEA type in memory
when selecting; when inserting, a 2MB binary file can account for an 8MB
encoded string.  According to the pg-users list, this can often max out
memory allocations and/or seriously degrade performance.