On Friday, August 23, 2013 at 3:52:54 PM UTC-4, Konsta Vesterinen wrote:

> On Friday, August 23, 2013 1:52:41 AM UTC+3, Michael Bayer wrote:
>

>> 2. ScalarListType vs. Postgresql ARRAY ?   same/better?  should SLT use
>> ARRAY on a PG backend ?
>>

> Hmm I'm not sure about this yet. Its definately not better than using
> PostgreSQL ARRAY. ARRAY is better in many ways but its PostgreSQL specific.
> Maybe we could make ScalarListType use ARRAY on PostgreSQL by default (as
> you suggested).

I was wondering if there are any plans for SQLAlchemy to support Oracle's
VARRAY column type? I've recently had the misfortune of having to use
Oracle, and would like to have columns of the form
sa.Column(sa.ARRAY(pt.String(8),
dimensions=1)). I just looked at SQLAlchemy-Utils's ScalarListType
(https://github.com/kvesteri/sqlalchemy-utils/blob/master/sqlalchemy_utils/types/scalar_list.py),

but I think then I'd bump into Oracle's 4000-byte limit
(https://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14237/limits001.htm#i287903).
(It's not clear to me what Oracle's VARRAY length limit is when used as a
column type, but that's a separate issue.) It's also not clear to me if
cx_Oracle supports VARRAYs nicely.