On 10/12/2016 03:13 AM, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
Mike,

I'm trying to find a nice way to say that this doesn't totally make life
difficult for us.

Hi Alfred -

I'd point out that you've spent the time and energy here to produce about eight paragraphs describing how disappointed you'd be if you had to at least experiment with the approach I'm describing, most include hyperbolic, emotion-inducing terminology like "does that really sound reasonable?" "this is really bad", "I'm sort of speechless".

I know it's not because of the effort involved, because you offered to go through and patch all the logging in Connection to make your desired feature work, which would be much more effort than my proposal, not to mention there are at least five other ways to do this too (though a logging filter IMO is the most idiomatic).

I don't get too many threads like these where the pushback response is highly disproportionate to the proposal, but when I do, they are very draining. I'm not sure what the desired effect is except that I'd be pushed to write more code to ease your emotions and frustrations. Or if you just wanted to vent for awhile, I can try to be OK with that.

Even if we were to use the filter as described, we couldn't use it for
an existing connection, we would HAVE to restart the connection?

Does that really sound reasonable to you to force users to write all
this scaffolding just to get the SQL emitted for a few lines of code?
To me it really doesn't sound like a framework that facilitates easy
debugging.  We basically have to slow down the *entire app* just to get
a very small segment of debug code.

Is there no way to "toggle" the optimization to reset itself,
specifically this:

The SQLAlchemy Engine conserves Python function call overhead by only
emitting log statements when the current logging level is detected as
logging.INFO or logging.DEBUG. It only checks this level when a new
connection is procured from the connection pool. Therefore when changing
the logging configuration for an already-running application, any
Connection that’s currently active, or more commonly a Session object
that’s active in a transaction, won’t log any SQL according to the new
configuration until a new Connection is procured (in the case of
Session, this is after the current transaction ends and a new one begins).

Really?  this is really bad and makes what should be a simple debugging
session into a nightmare of scaffolding that has to be written just to
do something that should be super simple, namely:

"get the sql emitted between these two points of code without having to
write a ton of scaffolding to do so."

I'm sort of speechless, if possible any advice going forward would help,
even pointers on where to get started in the code. Turning on global
debug and taking a performance hit is not possible.

Appreciate your help on the matter.

thanks,

-Alfred