On Sun, Oct 30, 2016 at 9:36 PM, Alfred Perlstein
<alfred.perlst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I wanted to start this out with a big thanks to the community, especially
> Mike Bayer, Simon King, and Jonathan Vanasco.
>
> A few weeks ago I asked for help on debugging sqlalchemy and was able to use
> the combined feedback, tips, and tricks presented to build a handy little
> package for debugging flask+sqlalchemy.
>
> The main goal was to get a handle on the number of queries being made by the
> orm and the latency involved.
>
> I've just released the 0.2 version of a new package "flask_sqla_debug", you
> can find it on pypi (https://pypi.python.org/pypi/flask_sqla_debug) and
> github (https://github.com/splbio/flask_sqla_debug).
>
> Right now it can:
>
> 1) turn on logging of sql statements for some blocks of code.
>
> 2) log/assert if a single query takes too long (~200ms).
>
> 3) log/assert if the combined queries inside of a request take too long
> (~200ms).
>
> 4) log/assert if the number of queries exceeds a threshold. (~20)
>
> Most of these logs/asserts thresholds can be tuned per-endpoint, although
> there are handy defaults.
>
> We are using it in our project now and finding all sorts of areas to
> optimize.  It's been very handy just having it now for a week installed in
> our project.
>
> To use it, just "pip install flask_sqla_debug" and then add this code to
> your flask app:
>
>     flask_app.flask_sql_debug = FlaskSqlaDebug(app=flask_app,
> engine=db.engine)
>
> I'd love some feedback on features, documentation or anything else you have
> input on.
>
> thanks again folks, this wouldn't have been possible without your help.
>
> -Alfred

Hi Alfred,

That looks very interesting, and I'd actually like to be able to use
it in my applications. Unfortunately I usually use pyramid rather than
flask, and this is obviously very flask-specific.

I wonder if it could be split into 2 parts. The first would be a
framework-agnostic class for tracking and logging queries and so on,
and the second would be an adapter that hooks the class into a flask
application. It should then be easy to write adapters for other
frameworks as needed.

Simon