Thanks for the answer. My use case is the following:

I have an object (map_obj), which has screenshots in two sizes. I'm
using JSONB columns to store the screenshot filenames.

Now, the two screenshot sizes are generated in parallel. The code is
like the following:

map_obj = query(...by id...)
filename = generate_screenshot(size)  # long running screenshot generation

try:
    dbsession.refresh(map_obj, ['screenshots'])
    map_obj.screenshots = dict(map_obj.screenshots, **{size: filename})
except Exception as e:
    logger.warning(...)

It worked well for 99.9% of the cases. The problem is that in the rare
case when both screenshots got rendered within a few milliseconds, one
of the screenshots got lost.

The simple solution was to add lockmode='update' to the refresh, so
this way the refreshes are blocking until the other finishes the
update.

But since this means locking a full row, I was thinking a simple JSONB
insertion would probably be better, since I can avoid locking the row.

Zsolt