On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 1:18 PM, Tim Chen <timch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Let's say I'm using a uuid PK for my models with a ` server_default` set to
> `gen_random_uuid()` (in PostgreSQL).  Is there a way to ensure the
> server_default value?  I would like to catch any INSERT or UPDATE statements
> that set the PK value and raise an error if possible.

Sure, I would use a before_cursor_execute() handler that does this.
You can see the parameters and the statement coming in and raise an
error if they have column values you don't want to see.

http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/latest/core/events.html#sqlalchemy.events.ConnectionEvents.before_cursor_execute

this is cleanest using some of the internal state of the context so
here is a demo:

from sqlalchemy import *
from sqlalchemy.orm import *
from sqlalchemy import event

Base = declarative_base()

class A(Base):
    __tablename__ = 'a'
    id = Column(Integer, primary_key=True)
    x = Column(Integer)

e = create_engine("sqlite://", echo=True)

@event.listens_for(e, "before_cursor_execute")
def receive_before_cursor_execute(conn, cursor, statement, parameters,
context, executemany):
    if context.isinsert:
        table = context.compiled.statement.table
        for col in table.primary_key:
            if col.key in context.compiled.binds:
                raise TypeError("no pk allowed!")

Base.metadata.create_all(e)