On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 8:01 PM, Nick Repole <nick.rep...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Appreciate the response, that all makes sense to me. In hindsight, I'm
> wondering how I ever expected there to be two Album objects with the same
> identifier and different relationship collections...
>
> On a conceptual level, I wonder how feasible it'd be to have objects
> expunged immediately as they're loaded. That way the parent Album with
> album_id==1 could load, have it's tracks load, then when the child album is
> loaded it wouldn't be the same Album object despite being album_id==1.
>
> My use case is purely read only, so I'm not particularly concerned with any
> changes being tracked/persisted,so such a scenario would accomplish what I'd
> need. But I realize my use case is pretty niche.

well it would be that the objects aren't put into the session at all
as they are loaded, because you literally want the eager loading
within the same load to create a new Album object.   That wouldn't
work because the loading mechanism is continuously seeing the same
primary key at the top for that Album and pulling it from the identity
map per-row in order to implement the eager loading in the first
place.

if you want to rely upon lazy loading, that is possible.    The
session supports lazy-loading on non-session-bound objects:
http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/latest/orm/session_api.html#sqlalchemy.orm.session.Session.enable_relationship_loading
.